Vegreville Drug Mart, located in Vegreville, AB is currently accepting resumes for one (1) full-time Sales Clerk. The successful candidate must be available to work up to 32 to 40 hours per week. The usual shifts will fall on Monday to Friday from 9:15 am to 5:15 pm.
The Sales Clerk associate is responsible for various Front Store duties such as handling customer transactions and merchandising of products. The successful candidate must be able to handle cash with accuracy. This position will contain job variety and the successful candidate will work at the cash register as well as stock shelves and keep the aisles tidy. Applicants should possess superior communication and customer service skills, a strong work ethic, and blend well as part of a team. Preference will be given to applicants with previous experience in retail sales.
This position will also be expected to work in the dispensary as needed. Under the personal supervision of a pharmacist, to perform specific dispensing functions as outlined by provincial regulations. To assist in inventory control, supplies, and housekeeping duties.
The successful candidate must have a professional attitude, and excellent communication skills. The candidates will join a pharmacy team that prides itself in delivering excellent customer service and a flexible working environment. Applicants must be motivated, possess superior organizational skills, and work well both independently and as part of a team.
JOB DESCRIPTION: SALES CLERK/PHARMACY ASSISTANT
OBJECTIVE: To carry out sales transactions courteously and accurately. To provide friendly and professional customer service. To practice effective selling techniques. To assist with housekeeping, putting out stock, and merchandising.
- Develop a clear understanding of store policies. Read the Employee’s Manual. Ask questions if in doubt regarding policies and/or procedures.
- Follow correct procedures regarding floats and cash balancing as per store policy.
- Follow correct cash procedures as outlined in the Employee’s Manual. Follow store policy regarding cheques, credit cards, refunds, voids, and rainchecks.
- Accurately record and handle all transactions with minimal voids, overages, or shortages.
- Be knowledgeable regarding sale prices and products featured on sales.
- Request a cash pick-up when large sums of money are accumulated. Anticipate requirements for change before running out.
- Courteously, quickly, and efficiently handle customer purchases. Call for additional help when a line-up or delay occurs.
- Handle lottery and CBO tickets as per store procedures.
- Handle telephone inquires quickly and courteously. Avoid keeping in-store customers waiting.
- Return shopping carts and baskets to their proper place, ensuring an adequate supply for customers.
- Acknowledge and greet all customers with a smile and hello. Maintain a warm, friendly attitude towards all customers.
- Keep an eye open for customers who require assistance. Remember! Customers always come first.
- Develop and utilize selling techniques including features/benefits, closing, and companion sales.
- Develop product knowledge and learn about new products. Know product locations and store layout.
- Use tact and courtesy when dealing with difficult customers. Know who to refer a customer to if they have a complaint.
- Inform the store manager of all customer complaints, comments, and concerns regarding customer service, prices, merchandise, etc.
- Pay particular attention to store security. Follow store policy regarding the handling of shoplifters.
MERCHANDISING AND HOUSEKEEPING
- Learn and utilize proper merchandising techniques such as shelf label placement, stock rotation, and facing. Maintain specific sections as allocated. Notify the store buyer regarding merchandise out of stock.
- Count inventory as advised by the Front Store Manager.
- Carry out housekeeping duties, ensuring that the store is kept clean, neat, and professional. The night staff is to sweep the floor every night and mop as required.
- Keep checkouts clean and neat, allowing sufficient room for customers.
- Maintain adequate stock of checkout supplies including bags, staples, till tapes and ribbons, raincheck, charge, and refund forms.
- Always keep busy and productive. When cashiering, identify tasks that can be performed between customers.
- Carry out additional duties as delegated by the Front Store Merchandiser and Pharmacist/Store Manager.
PHARMACY ASSISTANT RESPONSIBILITIES:
The pharmacy assistant must be always under the supervision of a pharmacist. All dispensing functions performed by a pharmacy assistant must be carried out following provincial regulations and standards of practice.
- Receive a written prescription from customers.
- Locate the medication, select the prescription container, and count/pour the medication.
- Attach the label to the prescription container.
- Ensure that the original container, prescription container contents, and label are checked and initialed by the pharmacist.
- Regularly phone customers for unclaimed prescriptions.
B. PHARMACY OPERATIONS
Perform other tasks as outlined by the pharmacy manager or staff pharmacists. Generally, to include:
- Keep all areas of the pharmacy clean, neat, and professional.
- Maintain adequate stock of pharmacy supplies.
- Answer the pharmacy telephone, except for the doctor’s line, which should be answered by a pharmacist. All doctors’ calls and inquiries regarding prescriptions, copies, drug information, and poisons, to be referred to a pharmacist.
- Assist with third-party billing.
- Set up a schedule for outdated pharmaceuticals.
- Assist with inventory control.
- Assist with checking off and putting away pharmaceutical orders.
- Maintain stocks of pamphlets/consumer information.
- Maintain OTC/non-prescription sections, as designated.
QUALIFICATIONS AND PERSONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Some cashiering or retail experience is preferred.
- Professional image including a complete, clean PharmaChoice uniform, name tag, and proper grooming.
- Ability to communicate clearly and courteously with customers.
- Mature and cooperative attitude.
- Due to the sensitive nature of this position, the successful candidate must complete a criminal record check.