Sooke Pharmacy Ltd located in Sooke, BC, is currently accepting resumes for a part-time Sales Clerk/Merchandiser. This position will be approximately 24 hours per week. The store hours are Monday to Friday from 8am to 7pm and Saturday and Sunday from 8am to 6pm. The successful candidate’s shifts will fall between these days and times.
This position encompasses all the aspects of a Sales Clerk position as well as various Merchandiser duties such as setting up displays and ensuring all stock is properly priced. The successful candidate will need to bring a creative flare to assembling displays. They should also bring a positive self-starter attitude and be able to prioritize numerous tasks. If you have customer service and retail experience but are looking to bring more to the table, this job is for you! You will be encouraged to work independently and use your skills and creativity to merchandise the store.
Candidates must have a professional attitude and excellent communication skills. The candidate will join a pharmacy team that prides itself in delivering excellent customer service and a flexible working environment. Applicants must be motivated, possess superior organizational skills and work well both independently and as part of a team.
Only those that qualify for an interview will be contacted.
JOB DESCRIPTION: SALES CLERK/MERCHANDISER
OBJECTIVE: To courteously and accurately carry out sales transactions. Provide friendly and professional customer service as well as practice effective selling techniques. Ensure store profitability through efficient buying, pricing and receiving procedures. Ensure all stock is properly merchandised including all regular, end-isle and floor displays. Ensure all merchandise has proper shelf labels and signage.
- Develop a clear understanding of store policies. Read the Employee’s Manual. Ask questions if in doubt regarding policies and/or procedures.
- Follow correct procedures regarding floats and cash balancing as per store policy.
- Follow correct cash procedures as outlined in the Employee’s Manual. Follow store policy regarding cheques, credit cards, refunds, voids and rainchecks.
- Accurately record and handle all transactions with minimal voids, overages or shortages.
- Be knowledgeable regarding sale prices and products featured on sales.
- Request a cash pick-up when large sums of money are accumulated. Anticipate requirements for change before running out.
- Courteously, quickly and efficiently handle customer purchases. Call for additional help when aline-up or delay occurs.
- Handle lottery and CBO tickets as per store procedures.
- Handle telephone inquires quickly and courteously. Avoid keeping in-store customers waiting.
- Return shopping carts and baskets to their proper place, ensuring an adequate supply for customers.
- Acknowledge and greet all customers with a smile and hello. Maintain a warm, friendly attitude towards all customers.
- Keep an eye open for customers who require assistance. Remember! Customers always come first.
- Develop and utilize selling techniques including features/benefits, closing and companion sales.
- Develop product knowledge and learn about new products. Know product locations and store layout.
- Use tact and courtesy when dealing with difficult customers. Know who to refer a customer to if they have complaint.
- Inform the store manager of all customer complaints, comments and concerns regarding customer service, prices, merchandise etc.
- Pay particular attention to store security. Follow store policy regarding the handling of shoplifters
BUYING (in co-ordination with the store buyer)
- Develop an awareness of the store’s market, deleting products that are not selling and evaluating new products.
- Count on hand inventory and check monthly movement of stock to be ordered by the buyer.
- Deal with sales reps utilizing the POS system. Check suggested orders from reps for approval. Ensure all claims, damages and returns are taken care of by the sales reps.
- Co-ordinate with the receiver all retail pricing in keeping with store policy and local competition. Ensure all items on the shelf are priced properly, with the correct description, order number and UPC code. Make sure new shelf labels are put out for price changes as soon as possible.
- In co-operation with the receiver ensure efficient receiving and stockroom operations. Also aid the receiver in checking discrepancies in costs, quantities or terms.
- Perform the duties of the receiver, in his/her absence.
- Delegate merchandising tasks to Sales Clerks. Ensure adequate work and directions are left for staff working evenings and weekends.
- Co-ordinate with the receiver and buyer, maintaining and ordering adequate stock of store supplies such as bags etc.
- Ensure all sections are kept up-to-date regarding product mix and merchandising.
- Ensure daily facing of all sections. Delegate section responsibilities to Sales Clerks. Supervise any buying delegated to Sales Clerks.
- Co-ordinate the merchandising of replacement stock and new products by Sales Clerks.
- Ensure proper merchandising techniques are being followed, such as stock rotation, right-hand merchandising, shamming, sequencing, etc.
- Ensure the store is kept clean, utilizing proper housekeeping procedures, delegating such duties to Sales Clerks. Also ensure Sales Clerks keep the checkout areas clean and well stocked.
- Ensure all end-isle, dump bins and promotional displays are kept full and changed frequently (every 2 to 3 weeks).
- Co-ordinate seasonal merchandising and decorations, ensuring the store reflects the season.
- Co-ordinate all signage and POP materials, including correct placement of window banners, promotional signage and sale shelf talkers.
- Supervise set up of the Pharmasave sale. Ensure adequate stock is available and checked daily. Ensure cashiers know products and specials.
- Ensure all on hand quantities in the POS system match the stock on the shelves. Using the inventory control entry machine, stock must be counted on a regular basis.
- Assist the Front Store manager in training Sales Clerks in basic housekeeping, shelf labeling, receiving and merchandising procedures. Provide additional training for specific job functions. Emphasize importance of customer service to new Sales Clerks.
- Ensure all duties outlined in the Sales Clerks job description are carried out on a regular basis.
QUALIFICATIONS AND PERSONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum 2 years of retail experience.
- Available to work occasional evening and weekend shifts.
- Must be a ‘self-starter’ and have the ability to work with little supervision.
- Ability to perform physical tasks as needed (climb ladders, lift boxes up to 30lbs, etc.)
- Organized, self-motivated and able to communicate well. Well presented and professional attitude.