Royal Drug Mart, located in Melville, SK is currently accepting resumes for one (1) full-time or Part-time Registered Pharmacy Technician. The successful candidate will work 24 to 40 hours per week and occasional weekend shifts. This location is open Monday to Thursday from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm, Friday to Saturday from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm, and Sunday from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm. The successful candidate must be licensed in the province of Saskatchewan.
Reporting to the Pharmacy Manager, and under the supervision of a pharmacist, this role is responsible for performing specific dispensing functions as outlined by provincial regulations and standards of practice.
The successful candidate must have a professional attitude, and excellent communication skills. The candidates will join a pharmacy team that prides itself in delivering excellent customer service and a flexible working environment. Applicants must be motivated, possess superior organizational skills, and work well both independently and as part of a team.
JOB DESCRIPTION: PHARMACY TECHNICIAN
OBJECTIVE: This position will practice in collaboration with the pharmacists to provide the best possible pharmacy services to our patients. The Pharmacy Technician’s primary role is to ensure prescriptions are filled correctly. The right medication gets to the patient, related administration, and managed inventory. They will transcribe verbal orders, transfer prescriptions, and check on the technical aspects of the prescription. They will always exercise professional judgment and be able to recognize when the clinical expertise of a pharmacist is required.
The Pharmacy Technician has the independent authority, responsibility, and accountability to:
- Prepare and process prescriptions
- Compound sterile and non-sterile products
- Transfer to and receive prescriptions from prescribers, and other pharmacists/pharmacy technicians
- Receive verbal prescriptions from prescribers
- Perform a final check on filled prescriptions before release
- Provide education on health aids and devices
- Certifying written drug orders
- Check filled unit dose carts from a fill list
- Take the patient’s medication history
The Pharmacy Technician will focus on the technical aspects of a prescription. This includes the following:
- Gathering patient information for the pharmacist to review
- Product preparation
- Product distribution
- Inventory controls
- Perform administration functions, such as documentation, third-party billing reconciliations, and completing required audits.
- Review prescriptions to confirm that they are complete, authentic, and meet all current laws, regulations, and policies.
- Answer patients’ questions and refer them to the pharmacist if the question requires a patient assessment, clinical analysis, or application of therapeutic knowledge.
- Report any occurrences of adverse events and close calls to the pharmacist and disclose the event as appropriate.
- Ensure confidentiality of patient information and request and release such information only where appropriate and legally allowed.
- Participate in and promote patient safety initiatives.
- Manage the pharmacy environment by maintaining the inventory, including safe storage, and handling of drugs.
- Maintain the cleanliness, functionality, and integrity of compounding, packaging, dispensing, and storage equipment.
- Participate in continuing professional development.
- Comply with relevant occupational health and safety legislation.
- Check and accept responsibility for the work of pharmacy assistants employed in the pharmacy.
- With the assistance of information software, identify potential interactions, therapeutic duplications, and incompatibilities within patient profiles.
- Perform quality assurance audits/checks on distribution functions and activities.
- Assist patients and health care team members in understanding the scope, limitations, and exceptions to third-party insurance coverage including coordination of benefits.
- Recognize and respond to unusual patterns of drug distribution.
- Ensure safe, accessible, and cost-effective medicines are available.
- Other duties as assigned by the Pharmacy Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS AND PERSONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Licensed Pharmacy Technician.
- Pharmacy Technician Certificate from a CCAPP accredited post-secondary institution.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Able to work independently and has experience multi-tasking.
- Professional attitude and ability to communicate well with customers and co-workers.
- Due to the sensitive nature of this position, the successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check.
We offer a full suite of benefits, pension, life insurance, disability, dental, health, employee assistance program, etc.