Earl’s Pharmacy, located in Saskatoon-Central, SK is currently accepting resumes for a full-time Pharmacy Assistant (Care Homes). The successful candidate will work approximately 40 hours per week. This location is open from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm Monday to Friday.
Reporting to the Pharmacy Manager, and under the supervision of a pharmacist, this role is responsible for performing specific dispensing functions as outlined by provincial regulations and standards of practice.
The successful candidate must have a professional attitude, and excellent communication skills. The candidates will join a pharmacy team that prides itself in delivering excellent customer service and a flexible working environment. Applicants must be motivated, possess superior organizational skills, and work well both independently and as part of a team.
JOB DESCRIPTION: PHARMACY ASSISTANT (CARE HOMES)
OBJECTIVE: Under the personal supervision of a pharmacist, to perform specific dispensing functions as outlined by provincial regulations. To assist in inventory control, supplies, and housekeeping duties. Reports to the Pharmacy Manager.
The pharmacy assistant must be always under the supervision of a pharmacist. All dispensing functions performed by a pharmacy assistant must be carried out following provincial regulations and standards of practice.
- Receive a written prescription from customers.
- Locate the medication, select the prescription container, and count/pour the medication.
- Attach the label to the prescription container.
- Ensure that the original container, prescription container contents, and label are checked and initialed by the pharmacist.
- Regularly phone customers for unclaimed prescriptions.
B. PHARMACY & CARE HOME OPERATIONS
Perform other tasks as outlined by the pharmacy manager or staff pharmacists. Generally, to include:
- Keep all areas of the pharmacy clean, neat, and professional.
- Maintain adequate stock of pharmacy supplies.
- Answer the pharmacy telephone, except for the doctor’s line, which should be answered by a pharmacist. All doctors’ calls and inquiries regarding prescriptions, copies, drug information, and poisons, are to be referred to a pharmacist.
- Assist with third-party billing.
- Set up a schedule for outdated pharmaceuticals.
- Assist with inventory control.
- Assist with checking off and putting away pharmaceutical orders.
- Maintain stocks of pamphlets/consumer information.
- Maintain OTC/non-prescription sections, as designated.
- Supporting pharmacists in clerical tasks, printing and distributing reports, processing refills, triaging emails, and taking payments.
- Packing up care home deliveries, medication management for pouch changes, daily cycle counts, and inventory management.
- Removing and processing expired medications, returns to McKesson, ordering dispensing supplies, and ordering from secondary suppliers.
- Auditing narcotic prescriptions and assisting with monthly care home billing.
- Care Home tasks, weekly home visits to pick up and process refills, returned meds, signing off for returned controlled medications.
- Medication room audits, management of stat boxes, and contingency medications.
QUALIFICATIONS AND PERSONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Preference will be given to those who have 1 to 2 years of retail Pharmacy experience.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Able to work independently and has experience multi-tasking.
- Professional attitude and ability to communicate well with customers and co-workers.
- Candidates should have their own vehicle.
- Due to the sensitive nature of this position, the successful candidate will be required to complete a criminal record check.